India vs West Indies Records : Praveen Amre first achieved this feat in 1992. After Amre, RP Singh, Ravichandran Ashwin, Shikhar Dhawan, Rohit Sharma, Prithvi Shah and Shreyas Iyer were awarded Player of the Match on debut.
India vs West Indies 10 Unique Records in the first test
In the first Test match against the West Indies at the venue of Dominica, the Indian team recorded a wonderful victory. With this victory, Team India and Indian players have won many records.
1. Biggest win outside Asia: India won the match by an innings of 141 runs. This is India’s biggest innings win outside Asia. The previous record was defeating West Indies by an innings of 92 runs. Now Team India has created a new history by winning the innings by 141 runs.
2. Best opening partnership: Yashaswi Jaiswal and Rohit Sharma put up a partnership of 229 runs in this match. This made them the best opening pair outside Asia. Earlier this record was held by Chetan Chauhan and Sunil Gavaskar. The duo added 213 runs for the first wicket in the match against England at the Oval in 1979.
3. Successful start: Jaiswal scored 171 on a successful Test debut. This is the biggest opening innings on an overseas debut. He also became the third highest run-scorer on his debut for India.
4. Record for Most Balls: Yashaswi Jaiswal holds another record for most balls for India on Test debut. Yashaswi Jaiswal faced a total of 387 balls in this match. With this, Mohammad Azharuddin broke the record. Earlier in the first Test against England, Azhar faced a total of 322 balls.
5. Poor performance of West Indies: West Indies could only manage 150 runs in the first innings and 130 runs in the second innings. The total score of the two innings was only 280 runs. This is the lowest score achieved by West Indies at home against India. Earlier in 2016, West Indies scored a combined total of 322 runs in two innings, the worst record.
6. Man of the Match Award: Yashaswi Jaiswal became the eighth Indian to win the Man of the Match award on debut. Praveen Amre first achieved this feat in 1992. After Amre, RP Singh, Ravichandran Ashwin, Shikhar Dhawan, Rohit Sharma, Prithvi Shah and Shreyas Iyer got the Player of the Match award on debut.
7. Ashwin at No. 2: In this match, Ravichandran Ashwin took 12 wickets and became the 2nd highest wicket taker for Team India. Ashwin is second with 709 international wickets, followed by Anil Kumble with 956 wickets.
8. Ashwin-Kumble tie: Ashwin took a total of 12 wickets in the match. This is the eighth time Ashwin has taken 10 or more wickets in a Test match. Ashwin equaled Anil Kumble’s record (8 times) in this regard.
9. Virat Kohli’s lead: By scoring 76 runs in this match, Virat Kohli surpassed Vivian Richards in the list of highest run-scorers in Test cricket. West Indies’ Vivian Richards scored 8540 runs in 121 matches, while Virat Kohli scored 8555 runs in 110 Tests.
10. Rohit Sharma Century: In this match Rohit Sharma (103) shone with a century. Especially Rohit Sharma’s 7th WTC century. With this, he became the Indian player who scored the most 7 centuries in the World Test Championship.